Skip to content
Logo Logo

Morpeth Castle (Landmark Trust)

Morpeth Castle (Landmark Trust)

 The building known as Morpeth Castle is a Grade 1 listed building and was originally a gatehouse built at the entrance to main castle from which it gets its name - and which no longer exists.

The gatehouse was built around 1300, more for show than defence but once within the curtain wall, you could be inside the most remote Border stronghold. In 1271 the castle itself passed from its first owners, the de Merlays to the Greystoke family, who chose to use it as a centre of administration for all their other castles. The castle started the 16th century in grand style, welcoming the likes of the widowed Queen of Scotland Margaret Tudor, sister of Henry VIII. However by the latter years of the century the castle was described as "mightily decayed." Fast-forward a couple of centuries and the castle was bought by the Borough Council, surely making it a contender for one of the strangest council houses.

The property is owned by the Landmark Trust who acquired it in 198 and rents it out as a self-catering holiday let, sleeping seven.




« Back to Accommodation

Contact info

Landmark Trust

Visit website